Friday, December 21, 2012

Running, walking, or just chillin?

Gooooood evening lovelies! As you guys might have picked up on by now, I often get inspiration for my posts from listening to songs. The other day I was listening to Hillsong United's "Running" and had an epiphany...more like a reality check, actually. Some of the verses that really stuck were...
 
"Every stride is taken in faith
Every step compelled by Your grace
We're taking up our cross
No matter what the cost
We give it all to go Your way
We're never gonna stop"
 
This got me thinking. Is every stride I take in faith? Am I even taking strides? Am I following God no matter what the cost? Is all my life devoted to going God's way? I was hit by a wave of conviction as I realized that I am way too often content with my faith. I am not always running towards God and in constant, non-stop pursuit of Him. I live my life in intervals, sometimes sprinting and most other times kind of just walking or even just standing still. Sunday was a sprint for me. I heard God telling me to get baptized, did it with no hesistance, was overwhelmed & on a Jesus high, and now over the past week I haven't really been striving to get better. I was just so wrapped up in taking a big step that I thought God was happy with me and wouldn't want much of me for a while. I hate that I let these thoughts slip into my head and take over my heart.
 
Contentment is an evil put into us by the devil. If he can't turn our heart away from God, he's going to do everything he can to hold us back from God's purpose for us. When we grow content with our faith, we stop trying to see what God's next step is for us. We stop serving Him and His people in all that we do. We stop running towards Christ and stop making sacrifices and big changes in our life to bring glory to Him. If satan can't turn us away from God, causing us to stop running towards Him is the next best thing.
 
So what did I decide to do about this? Well first I had to accept the fact that I'm never going to be perfect and will slip away & that God will wash me clean of my shortcomings. Then I had to realize that through the power of prayer, God will give me strength to get better at this and grow stronger in my faith. And lastly, I decided to post about it so that my friends, family, and everyone else who reads this can hold me accountable and hopefully learn from this too!
 
 
Then he said to them all: "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me." Luke 9:23
 
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galatians 6:9
 
But those who trust in the LORD will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:31



 
somewhat running with these lovely ladies :)


No comments:

Post a Comment