Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Unfathomable

How do humans with such tiny brains (no offense fellow earthlings) grasp such huge concepts such as eternity, unconditional love, the creation of the universe, and a plan that was created for us far before we were born? It can definitely be hard sometimes and we forget all too often how truly righteous our God is, but diving into scripture is the best way to get a clear picture of God's greatness.

What's God's next step for ME? What does God want of ME? Why did God create ME this way? How can God help ME in this situation? Why is God doing this in MY life?

I ask myself each of these questions at least twice a day...which is great and so important if I want to whole-heartedly follow God's path for me...but I so often forget the most important part and that's who God is. I get so wrapped up in my life and making sure that I center it around Christ and me, me, me, that I forget to simply worship God for His greatness and reflect on the beauty of who He is and what all He has done.

I think the main reason we so often forget how truly glorious God is is that we are constantly surrounded by flawed, broken, messed up humans. Seeing the self-seeking, greedy, and envious nature of humans, including ourselves, makes it hard to imagine a perfect God without all of that junk. When Genesis 1:27 tells us that God created us in His own image, that means that He put some of His compassion, love, grace, unselfishness, and wisdom into each of His children. But because sin was brought into this world we also all have some evil characteristics about us. But God isn't sinful, He is perfect. Think of the most kind-hearted, cheerful, God-seeking, "wouldn't-hurt-a-fly", type of person you know. Even they have a sinful nature and cannot compare to the perfection of God. His love is immeasurable, His beauty is indescribable, His wisdom is infinite....and He is worthy of all praise and worship, even though the world often fails to give it to Him.

I encourage you to think of everything beautiful about the earth, the universe, yourself, your life, others...God created it all and should be worshiped for it.
Here are things that remind me of God's greatness
  • the colors He paints in the sunsets/sunrises
  • the smell of rain
  • how every single person on earth has a different laugh
  • the way He has an individual plan for every single one of His children that all weave together to create a even bigger plan for the earth as a whole
  • the way He created the Heavens and earth in only 6 days and I can't even finish a novel in 2 weeks
That's only a teeny, tiny fraction of the list of amazing things God has done and created. He's awesome, just awesome. It's so important to focus on what God is doing in your life and how you can follow Him and what He wants you to do and what's best for you but sometimes we need to just stop, breathe, and thank God for who He is. I personally like to jam to worship songs in the shower and then lay in bed and count the reasons why God is worthy of praise. But however you choose to worship Him simply for who He is, my prayer is that you will have a renewed spirit. If this awesome God is for you, who can be against you?

"Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations." Psalm 100:4-5





No comments:

Post a Comment