Thursday, January 30, 2014

Daniel Fast

I've been wanting for the longest time to connect with God in new ways and to learn more about Him and who I am in Him. But the silliest thing that I didn't understand was that in order for new things to happen, I needed to do something I hadn't done before! There's no way anything would change if I kept the same habits and kept living the same way.

A little over three weeks ago, my church challenged it's members to participate in the "Daniel Fast," a 21-day fast modeled after the way Daniel fasted in the bible. After being stubborn and selfish for a little bit, I accepted the fact that fasting was the next step I needed to take in my relationship with God and I am SO glad I did.  The only reason I even want to share with you guys about it is not because I am proud of myself for doing the fast or want you to be proud of me; it was by His power and goodness alone that I was able to do it! There is just no way I could not share with y'all the things God did for me and through me during this time. The most important thing that this experience showed me was how awesome life is when I simply depend on God rather than myself. It's still hard and the problems I have don't just magically go away, but it's so much better to know I can trust Him with everything and that He will take care of me. Learning to depend on Him was the main thing I learned, but each day He taught me something new either through scripture, someone else's words, or a personal experience. I wrote down the main thing I learned each day in my journal and thought I would share! (p.s. I am aware that some of them are very similar...God knows how forgetful I can be but thankfully He makes sure to remind me of things He once taught me when my actions don't show that I remember it)

1. A fast (or any spiritual discipline) isn't meant to make Him fall more in love with you, but to make you fall more in love with Him. Don't be in this to try to make up for recent or past sins.

2. Spending time with the ones God gave you is one of the most fulfilling things; don't take that time for granted (or spend it on your phone).

3. Self-control is vital to living a fulfilling life. What we want in the moment isn't always best for us in the long run.

4. Don't be discouraged by weakness. Let your weakness highlight God's mighty power within you!

5. Complaining or having a negative attitude does no good for you or the people around you. Joyfully submit to the Lord and express that joy to others.

6. Don't spend so much time dwelling on the days ahead of you. You are not promised another day so put all your energy and effort into making the most of the present.

7. Don't turn to worldly things when you feel weak. Christ is the only thing that will give you the strength you need.

8. It isn't silly to say that Jesus Christ is your best friend. He isn't just some larger than life, all-knowing judge. He's someone who can make you smile after long day, someone you can count on, someone who would do anything for you, and someone who accepts you exactly how you are...what more could you want in a best friend?

9. When you want something to change in your life, you have to be willing to do something you have never done before.

10. Forgiving yourself is just as important as forgiving others. God doesn't want you to live in guilt and self-pity.

11. Don't take the opportunity God has giving you to have an intimate relationship with Him for grants. It is the most beautiful gift you could ever receive.

12. Being honest with the Godly people in your life about what you're dealing with is vital. We need those people to encourage us and hold us accountable. but we will never get that if we try hide our struggles and our feelings.

13. Don't act based on your ever-changing emotions, act based on the un-changing, solid Truth you know about Jesus.

14. Loving people is the single most important thing we must do on this earth. Simple as that.

!5. Don't start to love the things God can give you more than you love Him. He alone is worthy of all of our praise and He is the only thing that remains the same.

16. Any day has the power to be extraordinary and waking up giving praise to the Lord and surrendering your day to Him is the best way to ensure that it is.

17. The more you read and discover about Jesus, the more you're going to want to live like Him.

18. One of the best ways to be a light is simply to be positive. When people are used to being surrounded by negativity, they'll want to know what it is that makes you so joyful.

19. Most of the time what the world tells us and what God's word tells us are total opposites. Following the patterns of the world does nothing to further His kingdom, which is the only reason we are even here.

20. Always ask yourself the question, "Who am I living for and what am I chasing after?" If the answer is anyone but Jesus and anything but being His servant, you have lost sight of your purpose.

21. God's got your back. You're silly for thinking He'd call you to do something and not provide for you.

Thanks for reading y'all! I hope some of the things God taught me made an impact on you. Have a great weekend!

 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment