Friday, November 16, 2012

A Week of Thankfulness: Beauty

Good afternoon brothers and sisters! Today will be day 2 of my Thanksgiving series! I'm not really sure how beneficial this will be to you guys; I mostly just wanted to share what I was thankful for and publicly give God glory for it, but hopefully you'll get something out of it!

Today I am thankful for beauty. I'm thankful for all of the beauty of this world that is a constant reminder of How powerful God is and I'm also thankful for the fact that He sees me as even more beautiful.

The other day in physics we were discussing the galaxy. I was wonderstruck with how giant it is; it's seriously beyond my comprehension. If you're every questioning the glory of God, just do some research on the galaxy and you'll get a pretty good answer. I'd highly advise you to watch this video of Francis Chan on the universe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpChZxPfa-c

Or take a look at the human body. It's made up of many different organ systems made up of organs made up of tissues made up of cells made up of molecules made up of atoms. (Bet you didn't expect a biology lesson when you clicked on this) And all those millions of parts make up a single body that has millions of different feelings, thoughts, and emotions all in one day. Pretty much anyone who's taken a science class knows all of this but when you really sit and think about it, it's pretty amazing. We often overlook simple things, like goosebumps for example, but when we take a closer look at them, it can be seen that they're very complex. Goosebumps are created on our arms and legs when tiny muscles at the base of each hair contract and pull the hair erect. As a response to cold, the erect hairs trap air to create a layer of insulation. How crazy is that? At the base of each of our tiny little arm hairs, God put a tiny muscle just so that we could be less cold.

Not only is God's creation complex, but it's also beautiful. I obviously don't need to go in depth on this because anyone who has seen even just a picture of a mountain, beach, waterfall, rainbow, or sunset would probably agree with me that God makes beautiful things. I could go on for ages of the beauty of God, but that would take, well, ages.

The crazy thing about all of this? God created it all effortlessly in 6 days. The even crazier thing? He somehow sees us as even more beautiful.

What a weird thing to think about. I mean the beaches never sin, the galaxy doesn't have zits, sunsets don't have awkward looking noses...how could God possibly see me as more beautiful? But in Song of Solomon 4:7, God tells us "All beautiful you are, my darling; there is no flaw in you." Despite the many flaws we see in the mirror or see when we reflect on our personality, the Lord tells us we are altogether beautiful and sees no flaw in us. In fact, our flaws are what make us beautiful. God put every little imperfection in us, because that's exactly how we needed to be to fufill His purpose for us. It's crazy to think about God knitting me together and considering every little piece of me, flaws and talents alike, that he needed to mix together to form something that He saw beautiful and fit to do His will.

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." Psalm 139:13-16



"Bless the Lord, O my soul! O Lord my God, you are very great! You are clothed with splendor and majesty, covering yourself with light as with a garment, stretching out the heavens like a tent. He lays the beams of his chambers on the waters; he makes the clouds his chariot; he rides on the wings of the wind; he makes his messengers winds, his ministers a flaming fire. He set the earth on its foundations, so that it should never be moved." Psalm 104:1-35

Lyrics from one of my favorite songs, "Beautiful Things" by Gungor

My BEAUTIFUL best friends and I on the mountains in Buena Vista, Colorado
 
 
Last picture is a humorous, but completely true one.
How a God who created all those beautiful landscapes can see me as beautiful is a mystery...but I'm so thankful for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment