Sunday, November 18, 2012

A Week of Thankfulness: Siblings

Happy Sunday everyone! I'm not feeling my best tonight so this one might not be very well-written or long, but the topic is very imortant to me. Today I am thankful for siblings.

My siblings are the most precious little people in the world and I am so beyond blessed to have them. I may be the oldest, but I learn so much from both of them every day. Together they've taught me to how to be a leader, how to be a peace keeper, how to have patience, and how to love unconditionally. Individually, they've taught me many valuble things too..

I'll start with my sweet little brother, Bob. He's 9 years old and quite a character. He's one of the silliest, happiest people on the planet and brings me so much joy. The first thing he's taught me is how to have child-like faith. He's always talking about how happy he'll be in heaven when he get to do whatever he wants. He says he'll grow an afro and ride his bike all day long and never have to wear pants and say "sup Jesus?". And when my grandpa passed away, while we were all feeling solemn Bob was just talking about how jealous he was of Grandpa Bob for getting to go to the happiest place on earth where you can do whatever you want and was cracking jokes about what our sweet Grandpa could have possibly been choosing to do with his freedom in heaven. Bob's faith that heaven is truly the happiest, most magical place and his lack of fear of death makes me desire to have more child-like faith. Also, Bob is just always so happy about life and makes the best out of situations that normal people wouldn't. A few years ago on a dance trip, we had to stay in the awful, disgusting, rat-infested hotel. Everyone was just complaining the whole time, but Bob made it an adventure. He'd try to swim a lap around the lazy river without touching any cockroaches and named the rat that was in our room. Sure, those are gross but they are just examples of how truly positive he is about life. Bob truly does live every day to the fullest, cock roaches or not. If the world was a little more like my little brother, people would get a lot more out of life.

Next is my sister, Anna Beth. She's 14 (only a year and a half younger than I am). I could make a list of all the things I admire about her, but that'd go on forever so I'll just summarize. First off, shes my very best friend. She's hilarious, creative, gorgeous, wise beyond her years, compassionate, and on fire for God. Anna Beth has not only taught me how to make a joke out of a hard situation, but has also taught me how to trust God in every situation. In every struggle she faces, she immediately turns to God and trusts in His greater plan. Her ability to speak in front of her peers and proclaim the good news of God is amazing for anyone, much less somebody her age. She has taught me that nobody is too young to preach the word of God and to lead others to Him. Another thing about AB is that she just makes my life, and others around her, more fun. She might be embarassed if I share this little story but it's one of my favorite things about her and I just can't help it. We share a bathroom and every morning when we are getting ready, I shuffle my ipod and we improv a dance on the spot. That always makes my morning and my whole day better, especially a month ago when I was upset a lot. She would do absolutely anything to protect me, and even though I'm not as strong as her, I'd do anything to protect her.

Although we don't always see eye to eye, I could never stop loving my brother and sister and I am so thankful that they are a part of my life. The unconditional love I have for them is just a fraction of the love God has for us and that just makes me all the more thankful and appreciative ot God's love for me.

“Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.” 1 Timothy 4:12






Anna Beth:)
 

Bob:)





No comments:

Post a Comment