Monday, November 19, 2012

A Week of Thankfulness: Parents

Good afternoon everybody! Hope everybody's Mondays were lovely...only 4 more days till Thanksgiving:) I am so excited for today's post because it's one of my favorite things in the world to talk/brag about. Today I am thankful for my parents.

I don't even know where to begin. I'm so incredibly blessed with such great role models and mentors. My parents are the two most genuine, compassionate, kind-hearted, happy, hard-working people I know and it's all due to the fact that they center their lives around Christ.Together, they've taught me how to make the most of life, what a Christ-centered relationship should look like, how to treat others, and how to honor God in all I do. Their infinite love for me now matter how much I fail them gives me a better idea of how much God loves me.

Some people say that parents shouldn't friends with their children, but I don't care; my mom is seriously my best friend. Not only does she give the wisest advice due to all her years of expirience, but she also is just so much fun to be around. I can tell her absolutely anything and she knows exactly what to say to make it better. When I'm upset, she takes the time to listen to my problems, or just simply hug me until I'm happier. She tells me how proud of me she is all the time and makes sure that I always feel loved. I'd be perfectly happy with growing up to be just like my mom. She is a strong, sweet and beautiful Women of God and that reflects in how she acts every single day.

My dad is just as sweet and funny as my mom, just in a different way. First things first about my dad, he's the most hilarious person I've ever met and never fails to make me laugh no matter what mood I'm in-whether it's a celebrity impersonation or a funny dance, his humor brings me so much joy. Also, he is the smartest person ever and pretty much knows everything. Besides all that, he just has such a big, Christ-loving heart. Luckily, my dad is the kind of dad who tells me he loves me every single day. All his gifts he ever gives have some meaning and are so thought-out and heartfelt. Sometimes he'll just randomly sent me a sweet, encouraging text in the middle of the day or write me a note just to remind me that he loves me. A few years ago, he randomly texted me during the day "I just wanted to tell you that I love you" and I answered "are you about to sky dive or do something life-threatening?" so now we have this joke where every time he texts me randomly he ends it with "off to swim with sharks" or something. That story may seem pointless to you, but it's just one of the things I love about my dad and I's relationship. I've heard multiple times that a person's relationship with their dad affects how they view their relationship with their Heavenly Father. I'm so thankful to have such a sweet, loving father because the way he loves me makes me appreciate God's love for me even more.

I don't thank God enough for allowing me to be raised by these to wonderful people. My parents are fun and relatable to me, but still have authority; they're understanding and forgiving, but don't let me do whatever I want; they set expectations for me, but don't put pressure on me to be perfect. They've pretty much nailed the whole parenting thing and I'm so lucky:)

Listen, my son, to your father's instruction and do not forsake your mother's teaching. They are a garland to grace your head and a chain to adorn your neck. Proverbs 1:8-9

 




No comments:

Post a Comment