Wednesday, November 21, 2012

A Week of Thankfulness: Leaders

Happy Wednesday everybody! Today will be my last day of this series; thank you to everyone who has been reading it and to everyone who has given me positive feedback! God has given me so much to be thankful for and unfortunately I can't cover all of it in 7 days worth of posts, but I tried to include the major things I feel blessed to have. Today I am thankful for the mentors/Christian leaders/role models that God has put in my life.

While it's so important to have friends your age who are pursuing a relationship with Christ, it's also crucial to have older people who have more expirience to help guide you and share their knowledge with you. God did not hesitate to bless me with multiple mentors and role models and I cannot thank Him enough for them. From church leaders to YoungLife leaders to FCA leaders to bible study leaders, I have quite the collection of Christian leaders in my life. Some I'm closer to than others, but I am equally thankful for each of them and that they take the time to teach me and listen to me and help me grow. I hope it won't embarass them if I go into detail and name a few of them, but all I have to say are good things so I doubt it will.

I'll start with my amazing YoungLife leader, Marla. This women is pretty much my second mom. We only officially met this summer, but I feel like I've known her my whole entire life (cheesy, but oh so true). After any talk I have with her (they often involve tears), I walk away with so much knowledge and feeling so much better than I did before the converstation. When I'm worried or stressed or upset, she always reminds me to take a deep breath and just know that God has everything under control. Our weekly meetups are what get me through each week, whether we have a deep conversation or simply just joke around. She's taught me so much and is always there when I need anything. I am so thankful that God put her in my life and I hope she stays in it for a really long time.

Next is my bible study leader, John (aka Papa McNelly). Papa McNelly holds bible study at his house every Thursday morning before school and NEVER fails to provide a great lesson. If any of you goes to my school, I highly suggest you come; it's definitely worth waking up a little early.  He is so wise and I always get so much out of just the little hour that he teaches. He and his family are so in love with God & His people and they show it in their every day life. The fact that they are willing to cook breakfast and prepare a lesson every week and teach a bunch of high school kids about Jesus reflects their love for and commitment to God. I am so thankful that Papa McNelly takes time out of his week to share His knowledge and share the word of God.

Lastly, I just wanted to share about one of my biggest role models, Jessica Hover. She doesn't really know who I am so I feel ultra-creepy right now, but I found her blog last year and fell in love with it. Her story is incredible and the way she lives her life is awesome. I just wanted to share her blog because she's the one who inspired me to write one and her words have impacted me tons. http://jessicahover.blogspot.com/

I have multiple other leaders and mentors in my life who have made such an impact on me and have all helped me in my walk with Christ. I am so very thankful for each of them and don't tell them enough. If you feel like you don't have any real Christian leaders in your life, go find one! Join a youth group and don't hesitate to confide in an older leader because it is so very valuble!

Happy Thanksgiving everybody; I am so thankful that you took the time to read this! :)


the lovely Marla
 
Papa McNelly and our bible study group last year

another awesome leader in my life, Hannah

And another leader I'm thankful for, Jessica



No comments:

Post a Comment